City of Barrie Adds Transit to Mobile App, Opens up Data
May 21, 2015
Posted by: Alison Hermansen
The City of Barrie has added a new function to its mobile app to help transit users get around the City. Coinciding with this new addition to the mobile app, the City is making all of its transit data open to the public.
"I'm pleased that transit is now part of our mobile app, but even more excited that we have opened up this data to the public," says Mayor Jeff Lehman. "Open data not only improves government transparency, but it also allows the many talented people in our community to use the data to create innovative products."
Open data does not contain personal or confidential information. Public uses for this data could include creating maps and apps for mobile platforms. To access the data, visit barrie.ca/GTFS.
The new transit function on the mobile app will enable users to:
- quickly locate nearby transit bus stops
- find out the bus stop information (bus stop code, and bus stop name)
- quickly find the next three real-time bus arrival times for selected bus stops
- navigate to nearby bus stops on a local area map
- bring up a list of all the bus stops on a selected route
- view the selected bus route on a local area map
- add bus stops to a Favorites list for easier future navigation
- perform a search for stops or routes
The City launched the free mobile app in December 2013. The app is powered by Pingstreet and provides residents with real-time access to helpful information & engaging tools. Is it currently available for download in the Apple App Store, Blackberry World, Google Play and Windows Store. Users who already have the app will need to do an update to the latest version of Pingstreet in order to see the new Transit feature.
Other features of the mobile app include:
- curbside collection schedules
- road closures
- events listing
- Report a Problem feature
- Twitter & Facebook feeds
- Make a Suggestion forum
More information on the mobile app can be found at barrie.ca/Pingstreet.